|Sternberger Elementary School was built in 1949, making it the first school built in Greensboro following World War II. Mrs. Edward Benjamin donated the nine acre site for the school, which bears the name of her mother, Bertha S. Sternberger.|
The school began with eight classrooms, but through the years has grown to a total of 22 classrooms. The last building addition came in 1976, when four kindergarten classes and a spacious library media center were completed.
Sternberger is noted as the first elementary school to join the Presidential Physical Fitness program in 1967. The school was also the first to initiate special classes such as typing, French, band, Jr. Great Books Club, and even bridge for the school's children.
Bertha Strauss Sternberger, 1878 - 1928