[ << prev ] [ next >> ]
In Dragonwings, the issues that affect Tang people are discrimination, and prejudice. They got treated differently because they are Chinese. The "demons" didn't get treated differently because they were who they were. This problem specifically involves the Chinese because they are the outsiders. These issues are not common to both the Chinese and the Americans. In 'Roll of Thunder hear my Cry', the problems were a lot more serious than in this book, In this book the Americans didn't threaten to hurt the Chinese. For me, this book was a little hard to stick to, so it wasn't my favorite book, but the way it was written was interesting.
GD9773 said:
preppyazn said:
LAteacher said:
1. However, this book may be biased since it is written by an Oriental author.

2. I am glad that the 'original' Americans have come to accept other people and that not every second of my life is a fight for survival.

I agree with the bias idea; the author was indeed Oriental. But consider this: if a white person wrote a book about being American, wouldn't that be just as biased? As for your response to the second question, I also agree. Without acceptance, there wouldn't be an end to fighting.

If a white/caucasian person were to write a book about an American person it wouldn't necessarily be biased because not all white/caucasian people are Americans.
True, but it would only really be bised in the way we are thinking if the book was about differences. If a white/caucasian person wrote 'Poly goes to school' It probably wouldn't even have to have to authors opinion in it.
Windrider said:
I AM A DRAGON INSIDE, OBEY ME MORTALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If this is a joke it's not the best I've ever seen. Just saying.
This book helps me understand and appreciate cultural differences because not everything is going to be identical. We have to accept others no matter their religion or skin color. People can be jerks over these simple things, so we're a different race then them or we're Christian and they're Buddhist. It doesn't matter in matter in the long run, so why treat them differently, we might not believe what they do but we have to at least respect them, along with their beliefs and personel features. Life would be exetremely boring without cultural differences. Sure you wouldn't argue but it's just not the same.
The problems in this book are that the Chinese are belittled in America and there is not enough money to go around so they are very poor. Another issue is that Windrider needs to become a dragon. Getting shunned by another race is in almost all groups and so is money, but Becoming a dragon isn't so much with other groups. This book helped me understand that a lot of culterls have different believes and traditions so we should'nt shun them for that. This helped me appreciate that culteral differences because it is interesting how so many people see different animals, like dragons as such different things
The important issues that affected the cultural group was that the white people were angry that the Chinese people were taking their jobs, so they would attack the Chinese people. This is very common to all groups, because they were all treated with discrimination. It was specific because the Chinese wer not slaves, but another group of people that the white people had to cooperate with.
Live_laugh_love said:
Windrider said:

Definetly not.
Btjbo Bxftpnfoftt said:
This book helps me understand and appreciate cultural differences because not everything is going to be identical. We have to accept others no matter their religion or skin color. People can be jerks over these simple things, so we're a different race then them or we're Christian and they're Buddhist. It doesn't matter in matter in the long run, so why treat them differently, we might not believe what they do but we have to at least respect them, along with their beliefs and personel features. Life would be exetremely boring without cultural differences. Sure you wouldn't argue but it's just not the same.

I agree
tangytoast516 said:
In Dragonwings, the issues that affect Tang people are discrimination, and prejudice. They got treated differently because they are Chinese. The "demons" didn't get treated differently because they were who they were. This problem specifically involves the Chinese because they are the outsiders. These issues are not common to both the Chinese and the Americans. In 'Roll of Thunder hear my Cry', the problems were a lot more serious than in this book, In this book the Americans didn't threaten to hurt the Chinese. For me, this book was a little hard to stick to, so it wasn't my favorite book, but the way it was written was interesting.
I think that you're right when you said that the "demons" weren't treated differently compared to the Tang. We always think of other people as different but we never think of it as them judging us
It helps me feel and understand how some people in other ethnic groups can be treated. It makes me feel sad that it is this way. It helps me appreciate that everyperson is the same. Now when I read this I feel what it is to be like in someone elses shoes. I think I have always taken the way I live for granted. Now I am very grateful for being able to do what I do in everyday life. It is a great opportunity to use what we have, yet we must not misuse this gift. Some people are treated as if they were animals. A body is a body. A human is a human.
Live_laugh_love said:
Windrider said:
I do not understand the point in this.
It helps me feel and understand how some people in other ethnic groups can be treated. It makes me feel sad that it is this way. It helps me appreciate that everyperson is the same. Now when I read this I feel what it is to be like in someone elses shoes. I think I have always taken the way I live for granted. Now I am very grateful for being able to do what I do in everyday life. It is a great opportunity to use what we have, yet we must not misuse this gift. Some people are treated as if they were animals. A body is a body. A human is a human. Smiley
(Your name) said:
It helps me feel and understand how some people in other ethnic groups can be treated. It makes me feel sad that it is this way. It helps me appreciate that everyperson is the same. Now when I read this I feel what it is to be like in someone elses shoes. I think I have always taken the way I live for granted. Now I am very grateful for being able to do what I do in everyday life. It is a great opportunity to use what we have, yet we must not misuse this gift. Some people are treated as if they were animals. A body is a body. A human is a human. Smiley
Crackersprince
Important issues that face the Chinese cultural group is that they would be beaten up by the white people and were not accepted in the society as people. In this book the tormen twas specific to this group because they had some trouble speaking English and were laughed at because of this. Even the Chinese children were tormented as seen with Moon Shadow and Jack.
I think that readining this book made me see the prejidice that used to be in our country. I'm glad that all that is passed, and that we asre more civilized now.
Racism and prejudice are the important issues that affect the Tang people, or Chinese, in Dragonwings. As with this group, these issues are common to all groups because they are isolated within themselves. On the other hand, the issues are specific to the Tang people when they're called disrespectful names and are treated like animals in America, or the Land of the Golden Mountain. Along with this, the book's first person perspective helps me to understand and appreciate cultural differences. The way that it's written like a diary really personalizes the novel, and when Moon Shadow talks about all the traditions of the Chinese, it really lets me understand and appreciate the differences. Throughout Dragonwings, I learned a lot about the culture of the Chinese, so I can recognize their unique differences without trouble.
Some important issues were how the white people would hate and hurt the Tang people because they were taking the white demons' jobs. They were different then the other groups because they were never slaves for the people, but the white people only hated them because they were there, and because the people were taking their jobs.These issues are all the same because the white people were discrimniating the Tang people, like all of the other groups.This book helped me understand cultural differences because even though tsome of the white people hated the Tang people, some of them were open mided and wanted to commune with the Tang people. It made me realize that not everyone was the same. Some people were different.
I really likes this book. Even though I had no similarities with any of the characters in the book, I feel like I can still connect with Moonshadow and his freinds, family, and enimies. I felt his smiles, his laughter, his tears, and his anger. I felt like I was observing the story in real life. I loved this book. It was my favorite out of all of the literature circle books.
1. As in all of these books, Dragonwings was about one ethnic group's strugle against racism. In Dragonwings, the racism is coming frome both sides. The white people thing the Chinese were bad news, and the Chinese thought white people were demons. Specificly in Dragonwings the Chinese people face poverty and a life of hard work.

2.THis book did not help me understand cultural differences any mere than i already did.

Smiley
Pomegranite Princess said:
I really likes this book. Even though I had no similarities with any of the characters in the book, I feel like I can still connect with Moonshadow and his freinds, family, and enimies. I felt his smiles, his laughter, his tears, and his anger. I felt like I was observing the story in real life. I loved this book. It was my favorite out of all of the literature circle books.

It helped me understand that there are two sides to every story. The People of Tang thought poorly of the "white deamons" just as the Americans thought the same as them.
give me a clue said:
I think that readining this book made me see the prejidice that used to be in our country. I'm glad that all that is passed, and that we asre more civilized now.

I agree with your statement baout how awful our country was back then. However, I think that our ways aren't that different now. I think that we jut have different ways of expressing it.
(Your name) said:
I agree that "a body is a body and a human is a human." What I disagree with is that everyone is the same. We all have a different personality and sometimes different rights. We the people only wish to be treated the same and have the same rank. Dragon Wings taught me that we wish to be treated the same but are not. We are human so we can't see everyone as the same person like multiple robots. Humans have a diversty that can't be denied.
The issues that affected Windrider and Moonshadow were racism mostly. I think that the racism was mutual though. Not all the 'demons' were actually evil. Miss. Whitlaw proved that.
I think the impotant issue in dragonwings is it there is alot of racism. The issues are common to all groups because the americans dislike the "tang" peopl,e and the "tang" people do not like the Americans, so they all dislike eachother. The issues are specific to the "tang" people because they are not in their real home in China they are in the demon" land America,
I thought this book was pretty good. I felt sorry for Moon Shadow and all the other Tangs for being so mistreated back then. I have to admit, though, that I felt kinda uncomfortable reading how the Tang people believed that the white people were demons. I guess that's what happens when you treat someone like they're not even human.

Smiley hope racism and prejudice both end someday Smiley
This post is in response to question 1. In the book Dragonwings, the main issue that effects Moon Shadow and the Company is, of course, racism. The "demons" (as white people are called in the book) assume that since the Tang people are from a different country, they are dumb, and are only good for hard work and strong labor. This is shown when Uncle share's his stories about working on the railroad, and how they had to blow tunnels through mountians with dynamite. The same prejudice was taken with African Americans when they were used as slaves. The Tang people living in San Fransisco were isolated to their own village, while African Americans usually lived among the white people (usually not by choice though). After the railroads were built, the white people seemed to want nothing to do with the Tang people, so they isolated them out of the city and into their own village. This also made life eaiser for the Tang people in some situations, but if the white people weren't racist, they wouldn't have to live in a village to be in a safe inviroment.
I think that the main issue for the cultural group of the Tang (Moon Shadow, Windrider, etc.) is feeling/being accepted by the "white demons". Not only that, but earning enough respect in order to live among them harmoniously. Bad influences such as drugs (ex: the Opium Houses) seem to also be an issue. Earning enough money to survive and life happily can affect the Tang, too. I think that any foreign person would be skeptical of a new enivronment and might not feel accepted entirely. I think that the last two issues would be more common for the "white demons". The first issue seems as if it only affects the Tang (at least, in this circumstance). All the other racial groups seem to be more accepted in this community than the Tang.
This book helps me understand and appreciate racial differences by giving me a different point of view. Never before have I read a book from the point of view of someone from China during this time period. I think that's what makes this book rather unique. Also, I now realize that the Tang people didn't necessarily think Americans as the same species, either.
The cultural group represented, Chinese Americans, are harrassed by whites. Most of them also struggle financially. The final issue is some times considered a solution, that issue/solution is that disrespect of an elder is punished very severely.

All cultural groups have some members that struggle financially, and there are people that will harrass anyone because of their cultural differences. So I think those two issues span many cultural gaps, while the level of severerity of punishment for disobedience by the Chinese is very isolated.
HOOPLA!!!! said:
The cultural group represented, Chinese Americans, are harrassed by whites. Most of them also struggle financially. The final issue is some times considered a solution, that issue/solution is that disrespect of an elder is punished very severely.

All cultural groups have some members that struggle financially, and there are people that will harrass anyone because of their cultural differences. So I think those two issues span many cultural gaps, while the level of severerity of punishment for disobedience by the Chinese is very isolated.
good job
i did not like this book or any of the books we read
Some important issues that affect most cultural groups (Mostly minorities), is racism. People treating them as if they are not in fact, people. At the time period thst this book is set, people didn't think twice about treating minority races like dirt. They called them names, treated them unfairly, and didn't even think that it was wrong. Although these issues are not as common today as they were in 1904, racism still happens. This type of racism usually happens to all targeted cultural groups.
Some affects that happens to Asians, specifically is stereotyping. Today, many people put pressure on Asians to be smarter, more gifted, be the perfect student. Sure, some Asians are like that, but not all. In 1904, the opposite occured. The "White Demons" consider them stupid, just becasue they don't speak English.
Dragon Wings helped me understand that every race is different, and that is good. Not everyone needs to speak English to be smart. And I am glad that I learned that.
SydneySmiley said:
Some important issues that affect most cultural groups (Mostly minorities), is racism. People treating them as if they are not in fact, people. At the time period thst this book is set, people didn't think twice about treating minority races like dirt. They called them names, treated them unfairly, and didn't even think that it was wrong. Although these issues are not as common today as they were in 1904, racism still happens. This type of racism usually happens to all targeted cultural groups.
Some affects that happens to Asians, specifically is stereotyping. Today, many people put pressure on Asians to be smarter, more gifted, be the perfect student. Sure, some Asians are like that, but not all. In 1904, the opposite occured. The "White Demons" consider them stupid, just becasue they don't speak English.
Dragon Wings helped me understand that every race is different, and that is good. Not everyone needs to speak English to be smart. And I am glad that I learned that.
i wonder who this could be so secret
said:
SydneySmiley said:
great pen name
I think there were several issues that affected the cultural groups in this book. Both groups, the Tang and the 'white demons', had a hard time fitting together and they didn't exactly treat each other fairly. Many of the Tang people had trouble earning enough money to pay for their families and did not get the same rights as the other people. sometimes this can encourage violence or the use of drugs.
These issues are usually common to all groups, because different cultural groups practice different cultures, which can influence the way people think of each other. I noticed that many of these cultural groups were called names, like the Tang called the Americans "white demons" and Windrider was called "Crazy Chinaman". This book kind of helped me to understand that every cultural group is special and we can all live in peace if we respect our cultural differences, like Ms. Whitlaw did by respecting the Tang.
why do all the books we rread have a huge race part its seems like in all the books the main character is exluded from something cause race. also i dint very much like them i dont know why i just thought they were kind of boring hopefully next time i will like the books.
the important issues are that rasism in amreica discriminates the family and the "white demons" treat them badly. these issues were common in therse time because the "white demons" treated every one badly exept people of there own race. they are specific to this group because only the men ome to america and they hardly ever get to see there family
1. In the book the race of the tang people faces the issues of discrimination as in the other books and they also face being the poor working force of the area. These issues are present in all the books. They are common to all groups because most people are discriminated due to their differences. Your race and rank in society are two of those. As for the poor working class. That is applied to many because in todays society and the time in the book the majority of the poor working class is composed of pwople who are mainly the same race. In Dragonwings the discrimination is specific because they aren't as fiercely discriminated by the whites as African Americans were in Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry. They were mainly a source of amusement to the white men, that and the white men were angry at them for taking jobs from them.
a main issue in dragon wings was racism. Racism affects practically all groups in society because everyone is different, but it affects the group represented in this book (the tang people) because the "white demons" are from a different country than the tang people and aren't used to the customs and ways of the tang so the piont theat out and pick on them.
This book was better than all the other ones we read because I actually learned something about the Chinese culture. This book was really racist though by calling white people "white demons' and calling things like "demon houses" and "demon food" Another thing I like about the book is the plot, These guys are pursueing a dream of flying! I dont think any regular people today could build a plane. If you can im really surprised.
(Your name) said:
said:
SydneySmiley said:
great pen name
hey dont make fun of her penname! its fine theres lots of sydneys in the world
In Dragon Wings the tang people or asians are treated very unfairly by the english people in california in the early 1900's. the white demons beat the tang people and hurt them and there were no consiquences. this was also happening to people of all races at this time. this was also when african american people were treated very badly and in this time in the USA not every race was equal in most places. specifically for the tang men they were hurt and mobed by the white people when the white people got drunk. i had always wondered about how asians were treated during segregation because one of the only groups you learn about are african americans. now i apreciate the asian culture because they had to go throught the same amout of terror as every race.
Well i mean racism affects the group. Also poverty, and violence. The victims werent very nice to the "demons" either. Some of the "demons" werent mean to the chinease. Like Miss Whitlaw, and her granddaughter Robin who were really nice. People will always judge by color, doesnt matter what color, some will put it aside once they meet you and others won't. Some are specific to African Americans because of slavery and never forgot about that. Others are for no reason or because of stereotypes. It all just depends. I didnt like this book very much.
3rd core sneaky ninja said:
(Your name) said:
said:
SydneySmiley said:
great pen name
hey dont make fun of her penname! its fine theres lots of sydneys in the world
maybe its smiley...
1. An issue that affects this cultural group is that the Tang people are greatly mistreated by the whites. The only reason why is simply because they have a putative, less superior skin color. It is very unfair! Smiley Smiley
I didn't actually like the book.
1) The Tang people weren't given the same rights as everyone else. They were segragrated in schools, like African Americans and the civil war. They didn't have any trust in the white people. In all the other lit books, the main people diidn't have much trust in any of the other racial group.
2)It helped me appreciate other cultral groups by letting me learn more of what their culture has gone through. I know what most main characteres have gone through their goods and bads in the country and their immigrations.
(New Message)I didn't actually like the book.
1) The Tang people weren't given the same rights as everyone else. They were segragrated in schools, like African Americans and the civil war. They didn't have any trust in the white people. In all the other lit books, the main people diidn't have much trust in any of the other racial group.
2)It helped me appreciate other cultral groups by letting me learn more of what their culture has gone through. I know what most main characteres have gone through their goods and bads in the country and their immigrations
SORRY I MESSED UP ON WRITING MY NAME IN THE NAME BOX SO I HAD TO REDO THIS THING!!SORRY
nobody accepts this race and it is unfair for all races when this happens.
I hope all the people in my group have their journals because I dont want just two people discussing....... again

I also have something to add on to the post above that was by me. I would not like going to some other country and have them make fun of me for something as simple as my language. People please think of this the next time you are confronted with another race.
crazyman1122 said:
This book was better than all the other ones we read because I actually learned something about the Chinese culture. This book was really racist though by calling white people "white demons' and calling things like "demon houses" and "demon food" Another thing I like about the book is the plot, These guys are pursueing a dream of flying! I dont think any regular people today could build a plane. If you can im really surprised.
This was the book that I read second. I do distinctly remember them saying that "not all demons are bad."
THere were many times when he believed that Ms. Whitlaw and Robin were the worldly bodies of these good demons. While he was prejudiced towards white people, he had a right to be, and it wasn't entirely bad.

Gonna go play Slender now, peace out.
[ << prev ] [ next >> ]